Chatham-Kent’s assistant fire chief will be moving into the top job on Dec. 6.Chris Case will become the next fire chief, replacing the retiring Bob Crawford. Case has 28 years working in fire operations service, first being hired by the Merseyside Fire Brigade in Liverpool, U.K., in 1991.There, he worked in operations, special operations, administration, planning, training and command. He formed the U.K.’s only dedicated fire and explosives task force to deal with arson and explosives crime and worked as a lecturer to the U.K. Fire Services College.Case moved to Canada in 2016 with his wife and four children for his assistant chief role with the Chatham-Kent Fire Department.John Norton, general manager of community development for the Municipality of Chatham-Kent, said there was a nationwide search and recruitment effort for the job.“Among a large group of capable applicants, Chris emerged as the best candidate to lead the fire service into the future,” Norton said in a news release. “I have observed Chief Case for several years now and I know that he has the respect of his peers, firefighters and the wider community. I have the utmost confidence that we have selected the right person for this role.”Don Shropshire, Chatham Kent’s chief administrative officer, said Case has been a “major contributor to the fire service” since he was hired.Case has also held the post of operations chief. He and his family were granted permanent resident status this year on a nomination from the Province of Ontario.“Since arriving in this wonderful community over three years ago, I have enjoyed every day serving alongside our outstanding firefighters to safeguard the communities of Chatham-Kent,” Case said in the release. “I am lucky enough to have an outstanding team here at work and at home. The endless support from my family and the teams at CK Fire has made this next step in my career possible.“I cannot express how thankful I am for this opportunity and how much I am looking forward to being your fire chief.”Crawford originally served as fire chief from 2001 to 2013, and returned to the role in 2017.
Delhi University offline admissions commenced on June 5 with over 2 lakh students who already registered while online registration process started on May 28.The students applying to DU’s School of Open Learning are likely to begin with the admission process on June 15. The process that was earlier scheduled to begin on June 1 has now been postponed due to a delay from the distance education board of University Grants Commission.A meeting was conducted on June 2 to discuss the possibility of conducting the SOL admissions through the online process. The proposal faced deference from a few members, last week. The delay in an agreement has led to a delay in the printing of the prospectus for students, as well.The School of Open Learning also became a part of yet another paper-leak incident for the third day in a row, touting it as one of the biggest leak-scams to have taken place in recent times.The university’s authorities caught hold of three students in Sarai Rohilla near Anand Parbat circulating the question paper on WhatsApp, just ten minutes prior to the financial management paper on June 2.Meanwhile, the number of candidates seeking admissions through the offline centralised OMR forms went down, the number of candidates coming to the campus to submit completed forms increased.As many as 5,828 applications were received on Saturday taking the total number of forms sold over Friday-Saturday to 31,722.SGTB Khalsa College, the only centre in North Campus, continued to receive bulk of the aspirants with a total sale of 1,797 and submission of 1,649 forms.advertisement
Michigan Football’s 2016 schedule poster is out. But one of the team’s division rivals isn’t exactly thrilled with the way it looks.Michigan Football dropped its 2016 schedule poster Monday morning, and per usual, it features the logos of the 12 opponents it’ll face during the regular season this year. But one – Maryland – is a bit unhappy with some changes the Wolverines made to its mark. Maryland’s logo, for whatever reason, doesn’t feature the flag bar that typically runs below the famed “M.”Maryland called out Michigan on Twitter. The Wolverines have not responded.Coming soon. #GoBlue pic.twitter.com/V18zMKMoX3— Michigan Football (@UMichFootball) August 21, 2016Is the rest of our logo coming soon? #RespectTheFlagBar https://t.co/M5ZoE4PUSn— Maryland Terrapins (@umterps) August 22, 2016For reference, here’s what Maryland’s logo actually looks like.It’s also worth noting that Michigan did not put Ohio State’s real logo on its poster. That’s clearly some kind of shot at the Buckeyes.We’re not sure if a logo mixup will provide motivation for the Terrapins this year – but perhaps that game is now a little more interesting.
So far this year, DSME secured a combined USD 1.3 billion worth of orders. The builder’s 2019 orderbook includes four LNG carriers, all of which were contracted by Maran Gas Maritime.DSME further said that it is in discussions for additional LNG carrier orders with the company, adding that it expects more such contracts to be signed in the future.Greece-based Maran Gas Maritime contracted the previous three LNG carriers at the shipyard in February.World Maritime News Staff zoomImage Courtesy: Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering John Angelicoussis’ Maran Gas Maritime has booked another LNG carrier at the South Korean shipbuilder Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering.The shipbuilding contract, which is the first gas carrier order under DSME’s new CEO Lee Sung-Keun, was signed by the parties on April 9.The deal would see the shipbuilder construct the 174,000 cbm carrier at its Geoje Okpo Shipyard and deliver the unit to its owners by the first quarter of 2022.
Larissa BurnoufAPTN National NewsThe Saskatoon police service unveiled a new monument today in honor of Missing and Murdered Indigenous women and girls.The mothers of some of the Indigenous women who died in Saskatoon were chosen to help unveil a new monument in their honor in front of the Saskatoon police headquarters.
Kolkata: An Assistant Sub-Inspector of police who came to Purulia from Siliguri, died in Purulia Sadar Hospital on Tuesday. The reason of his death is yet to be confirmed by the district police. According to the preliminary investigation it is suspected that the victim might have suffered a stroke due to excessive heat. Some of his colleagues said that the patient fell ill in the scorching summer heat. The doctors are yet to ascertain the actual cause of his death. The family members of the victim have been informed. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaIn another incident, a 40-year-old woman died at Bhagabanpur in East Midnapore, after she fell unconscious while taking rest on the side of a road. Local people found the woman lying unconscious under a tree. She was later rushed to a nearby hospital where the victim was declared brought dead. It is presumed that the patient might have survived if she was taken to the hospital on time. The hospital authorities are yet to confirm the exact cause of her death.
New Delhi: Two days after cyclone “Fani” hit the Odisha coast, normal traffic as well as flight operations has been restored in the state and the Railways have also reintroduced 85 of the 138 cancelled trains, a Home Ministry statement said on Sunday. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has cleared fallen trees from most of the roads in Puri, Khurda and Bhubaneswar and normal traffic has resumed, said the statement that was issued based on information shared by Odisha government in a National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC) meeting chaired by Cabinet Secretary P.K. Sinha. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework The NCMC on Sunday reviewed relief measures in the “Fani” affected areas of Odisha, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. “Railways have reintroduced 85 of the 138 cancelled trains. The main line to Bhubaneswar has commenced operations while Puri will be ready to receive trains in about four to five days. Flight operations to Bhubaneswar resumed with 41 flights operating yesterday (Saturday), even though the local airport suffered extensive damage.” Also Read – Trio win Nobel Medicine Prize for work on cells, oxygen Odisha also said that power and telecommunication facilities were gradually being restored in the cyclone-affected areas of the state. “Major damages to the power transmission and distribution systems are reported in Bhubaneswar and Puri. Mobile services have been restored partially. In both the cities, about 70 percent water supply will be restored by Sunday evening. “At least 60 percent of affected telecom towers were expected to be operational by Sunday evening and diesel supplies were being provided to make them functional using Diesel Generator (DG) sets in the absence of regular power supply,” the statement said. Sufficient stocks of diesel and other fuels are available in Odisha, said the statement, adding the state also sought supply of storage water tanks. The Cabinet Secretary, in the NCMC meeting, directed that restoration of power and telecommunication facilities be accorded top priority and Ministry of Power and Department of Telecommunications to coordinate with Odisha government in this regard. The Power Ministry has moved DG sets of 500 KVA, 250 KVA and 125 KVA capacity and also provided workmen gangs, who are engaged in restoration of power lines and towers, said the statement. “Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal have been requested to provide additional assistance to Odisha, particularly in the area of power. Cabinet Secretary also suggested that public sector companies in Power and Oil and Gas sector contribute towards relief efforts under their CSR funding.” The Ministry of Steel has made available about 3,500 steel electric poles and additional quantities as requested by Odisha are being arranged from other places. The Defence Ministry, through transport planes and helicopters, moved medicines and other relief material, while naval and Coast Guard vessels near the Odisha coast have enough water to supply to affected areas. Reviewing the relief efforts, the Cabinet Secretary directed that officers of Central ministries and agencies should work in close coordination with Odisha government and provide all required assistance expeditiously. Chief Secretaries and Principal Secretaries of Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal participated in the NCMC meeting through video conference. Senior Officers from Ministries of Home Affairs, Defence, Civil Aviation, Railways, Petroleum and Natural Gas, Power, Telecommunications, Steel, Drinking Water and Sanitation, Health, the NDMA and the NDRF also attended the meeting.
New Delhi/ Mumbai: Loan exposure worth Rs 12,000 crore of almost 55 green companies of crisis-hit IL&FS group is likely to be settled by July end, a senior government official said as he asserted that the resolution process is on track. Besides, many of the green companies have positive equity which means that after settling debt obligations, shareholders would “get something in return for their equity stake”, Corporate Affairs Secretary Injeti Srinivas said.The board of diversified IL&FS group, which is estimated to have a debt burden of over Rs 94,000 crore, was superseded by the corporate affairs ministry in October last year. Since then, the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT)-appointed board is managing the affairs to ensure orderly settlement. As part of the resolution efforts, the group companies have been classified into three categories, mainly based on their financial positions — green, amber and red. Srinivas said the IL&FS resolution process is on track and expects to reach “some kind of conclusion” in a time-bound manner. There are almost 55 companies in the green category and they have a loan exposure of about Rs 12,000 crore. Ten out of the 55 companies account for nearly 90 per cent of the loan exposure, he noted. Meanwhile, IL&FS Securities Services (ISS) Wednesday moved the Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT) to direct markets regulator Sebi to annul certain transactions carried out by Allied Financial Services. In February, Sebi had barred Allied Financial and others for misappropriating client securities and a host of other violations. Appearing for IL&FS Securities counsel Gaurav Joshi said there were fraudulent mutual fund transfers carried out by Allied on behalf of its clients Dalmia Cement and OCL India, among others where it was the clearing house. He sought SAT’s intervention to direct Sebi to annul the said transaction, apart from de-freezing of securities which are stuck following the Sebi order. In February, the Sebi had barred brokerage Allied Financial, its five directors and four other entities from securities markets for misappropriating client securities and other violations. It had also barred them from disposing of or alienating any assets, or create or invoke any charge on their assets, without its prior permission. The Sebi had probed the alleged irregularities at Allied, pursuant to a preliminary inspection by the NSE had found non-availability of client funds worth Rs 94 crore, non-availability of client securities, non-settlement of inactive clients and non-segregation of transaction between own and client bank accounts. “In the green category, the major focus is on settling dues with respect to those ten large companies. If the dues of the ten companies can be settled, then 90 per cent of the Rs 12,000 crore can be settled… By July end, we will be aspiring to settle the debt of green companies, which is around Rs 12,000 crore,” said Srinivas. Srinivas also said there are a few cases where creditors are willing to restructure the entire loan to make ‘amber’ assets green. “We are open to that. If they can be made into green, then around Rs 2,000 to 4,000 crore of debt may shift from amber to green,” he noted. The amber companies have debt obligations worth around Rs 20,000 crore and since there is a moratorium, the dues of these firms are not being paid yet. Amber companies are those that have enough money to pay senior secured creditors but not unsecured ones. “We are not paying the dues yet, which is being heavily contested in NCLAT by the creditors… If the secured creditors want distribution of available funds before final resolution, they would have to file their final claims. The interim payments made prior to resolution of the corporate debtor, would automatically get adjusted against the final claim,” Srinivas said. He said one option could be that senior creditors get precedence and the residual amount would go to unsecured creditors.
Mau (UP): Prime Minister Narendra Modi Thursday said his government was committed towards Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar’s vision and promised to install his grand statue at the same spot in Kolkata where it was vandalised by “TMC goondas”. Lashing out at Mamata Banerjee, the prime minister said he was going for a rally in Dum Dum later in the day but was not sure if the West Bengal Chief Minister will allow his helicopter to land. “We have been witnessing the attitude of didi for long and now the country is also seeing it. Dedicated to the vision of Ishwar Chand Vidyasagar, our government will install a panchdhatu (made up of five metals) statue at the very spot and give a reply to TMC goondas,” he said while addressing a poll rally here. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework “The statue of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar was broken by TMC goondas during the road show of BJP President Amit Shah. Those involved in this act should be given strong punishment,” the prime minister said. Kolkata witnessed wide-spread violence during BJP president Shah’s massive road show on Tuesday. A bust of 19th century Bengali icon Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar was vandalised during the violence. Modi charged that “anarchy” was spread by TMC workers during his earlier meetings in West Midnapore and Thakurnagar. Also Read – Trio win Nobel Medicine Prize for work on cells, oxygen “In Cooch Behar in Bengal where a dais was to be set up for my rally, didi got a grand dais made for her party. I have been seeing this attitude of didi since long but now the country is seeing it,” he said. “I have a rally in Dum Dum. Let us see if didi allows it. If she has her way she will not allow the helicopter to land, Modi said. Hitting back at BSP supremo Mayawati, who had attacked him over violence in West Bengal, Modi said, “The manner in which the West Bengal government has been targeting UPiites, Biharis and those from Purvanchal, I thought behenji will give a befitting reply but she is more concerned about power”. Lashing out at the SP-BSP alliance, he said those raising “Modi-hatao slogans are today frustrated.Uttar Pradesh has made their arithmetic all wrong and so their abuses have increased”. “Actually the country has come to know the truth of these mahamilavatis…they all know that Modi hatao was just a slogan but actually their aim is to hide their corruption,” he said, adding they somehow want a ‘khichdi’ and weak government which can be “blackmailed” as per their needs. “SP-BSP have made an opportunistic alliance. They have struck a deal at the top but on the ground their workers are still attacking each other,” he said. “They are mistaken in thinking that SP and BSP votes will be transferred.They take some castes as their slaves,” he said, adding it appears they did not understood situation in 2014, 2017 polls but will now understand in 2019 that castes should not be treated as slave. In the name of castes they gained power and used it for making bungalows and make their relatives ‘crorepatis’ and ‘arabpatis’, he charged. “Be it bua or babua they have distanced themsleves from people, created a tall wall of ‘darbaris’ and yes men that they cannot see the ‘sukh dukh’ of the poor,” he said. While accusing the Opposition of creating hurdles in freeing Muslim daughters of the curse of triple talaq, he said, “Your sewak wants to empower daughters”. He said ‘mahamilawatis’ have fielded a candidate from Ghosi seat who is a rape accused and absconder. The history of Samajwadi Party, the prime minister said, is known by the people of UP “but behenji, will you seek votes for such a candidate. All know what was the situation of betis during the Samajwadi Party rule but behenji your stand on the rape of a dalit daughter in Alwar has brought your behaviour also under question”. The government in Rajasthan is being run with the support of behenji but it tried to keep the rape incident hidden in view of elections… this attitude of behenji shows that for selfish interest anyone can be betrayed, he said. Stressing that his government was committed to security of women, Modi said it was his government which brought death penalty in rape cases and pressing the button on lotus will mean death penalty for rapists.