Ex-France minister has to pay damages to Nadal

first_imgRafael Nadal of Spain shouts during his singles tennis match against David Goffin of Belgium at the ATP World Finals at the O2 Arena in London, Monday, Nov. 13, 2017. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)PARIS — Former French minister for health and sport Roselyne Bachelot was ordered to pay 10,000 euros ($11,800) in damages to Rafael Nadal on Thursday after accusing him of doping.In March last year, Bachelot said on a French television show that Nadal’s seven-month injury layoff in 2012 was “probably due to a positive doping test.”ADVERTISEMENT Nadal, who has won 16 Grand Slam titles, filed a defamation suit against Bachelot in Paris.The Spanish player said he will donate the money to a non-governmental organization or a foundation in France.“When I filed the lawsuit against Mrs. Bachelot, I intended not only to defend my integrity and my image as an athlete but also the values I have defended all my career,” Nadal said in a statement.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingNadal said he wanted to keep public figures “from making insulting or false allegations against an athlete … without any evidence or foundation and to go unpunished.”He said the lawsuit was never motivated by money. MRT 7 on track for partial opening in 2021 Bachelot was also ordered by the French tribunal to pay Nadal a suspended fine of 500 euros ($590).In April 2016, Nadal wrote to the president of the International Tennis Federation asking for all of his drug-test results and blood profile records to be made public. In the same letter, he said of Bachelot: “It is unacceptable and mostly unfair that someone that should have knowledge of sports to a certain point and degree can publicly say something like this with no proof or evidence.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Jordan delivers on promise: 2 Cobra choppers now in PH LATEST STORIES Kings of the NCAA Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ The Fatted Calf and Ayutthaya: New restos worth the drive to Tagaytay Malditas save PH from shutout Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim After 30 years, Johnlu Koa still doing ‘hard-to-make’ quality breads View commentslast_img read more

Maryland Upset With Michigan For Altering Its Logo In Schedule Poster

first_imgMichigan Football’s 2016 schedule poster is out. But one of the team’s division rivals isn’t exactly thrilled with the way it looks.Michigan Football dropped its 2016 schedule poster Monday morning, and per usual, it features the logos of the 12 opponents it’ll face during the regular season this year. But one – Maryland – is a bit unhappy with some changes the Wolverines made to its mark. Maryland’s logo, for whatever reason, doesn’t feature the flag bar that typically runs below the famed “M.”Maryland called out Michigan on Twitter. The Wolverines have not responded.Coming soon. #GoBlue pic.twitter.com/V18zMKMoX3— Michigan Football (@UMichFootball) August 21, 2016Is the rest of our logo coming soon? #RespectTheFlagBar https://t.co/M5ZoE4PUSn— Maryland Terrapins (@umterps) August 22, 2016For reference, here’s what Maryland’s logo actually looks like.Maryland Official LogoIt’s also worth noting that Michigan did not put Ohio State’s real logo on its poster. That’s clearly some kind of shot at the Buckeyes.We’re not sure if a logo mixup will provide motivation for the Terrapins this year – but perhaps that game is now a little more interesting.last_img read more

NB man fined after Ecuadorean woman caught crossing US border on paddle

first_imgEDMUNDSTON, N.B. – A New Brunswick man has admitted conspiring to smuggle a 46-year-old Ecuadorean woman into the U.S. on a paddle boat.RCMP say the woman entered Maine illegally via the Saint John River in July of last year, and was apprehended by American authorities soon after.“The U.S. authorities were alerted by somebody on the U.S. side — they saw the woman,” Cpl. Jullie Rogers-Marsh said Friday.The woman entered the river in the New Brunswick border town of Baker Brook, and was arrested in Van Buren, Me. She remains in the United States.Richard Cyr, a 50-year-old man from Baker Brook, pleaded guilty Thursday to conspiracy to commit human smuggling in Edmundston, N.B., provincial court.He was fined $4,000 plus a $1,200 surcharge.Prosecutors withdrew charges against a 67-year-old man from Edmundston who had also been arrested in the incident.last_img read more

Watch Three Short Films From The Axe Collective Video

first_imgAdvertisement Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment On Tuesday, September 13 at the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, three emerging filmmakers got the opportunity to showcase their short films at AXE Collective Vanguard Honours, a special screening of their work at TIFF ’16. The event — put together by AXE and hosted by Mark Duplass and John Legend alongside Midnight Madness and Vanguard programmer Colin Geddes — touched on the role that mentorship can play in finding your voice as an artist.“The AXE Collective and its commitment to emerging talent echoes the very spirit with which we’ve been curating the Vanguard Programme since it began in 2006,” explains Geddes. “We’re thrilled to collaborate with AXE to honor today’s film creatives who push the boundaries of the art and help pave the way for the next generation.”Duplass recently curated an issue of our digital digest, The Review, and talked about his work with the AXE Collective and the importance of giving young filmmakers a platform. Secrets Never Die by Tabi BonneyTabi’s film puts us at the center of the obstacles young people face as they struggle to find their own path amidst dynamic and unforgiving cultural settings. “I think most people who are getting into filmmaking feel like they have all of this magic inside of them,” Duplass wrote. “And maybe they don’t know how to get that magic out because everything they’re making sucks, or maybe they did make something that they’re proud of, but they don’t know what to do with it.“Along with fellow mentor John Legend, we’re helping filmmakers distill what they are good at.”Check out the short films from three of the collective’s members below. Advertisement Facebook Login/Register With: Twitter Tabi was born in Togo where his father was an afro-punk musician (Itadi Bonney) and his mother was a teacher and member of the Peace Corps. Growing up in D.C., Tabi always had music as a driving passion and is ingrained in that local culture. Before focusing on making his entertainment dreams a reality, he attended Florida A&M University to study pre-med and was a science teacher at a D.C. high school for two years.last_img read more

Ontario NDP leader says province should pay for services on reserve and

first_imgWillow FiddlerAPTN NewsThe leader of Ontario’s NDP party says she’s going to push the province to pay to fix water issues on First Nation communities and then send Ottawa the bill.Andrea Horwath made the comments while on a tour of three communities in northern Ontario.“And if some of the costs of those fixes need to come from the federal government, then fix the problems and send the bill to Ottawa,” she said. “But fix the problems first and foremost. Fix the problems so that the inter-generational trauma the communities are facing can start to be resolved. ”Horwath says finding solutions for First Nations in northern Ontario is not rocket science.“These challenges should have been dealt with over many, many years ago and unfortunately we continue to see the blame game and the real solutions not being implemented,” she said.“A lot of talk, not enough action.”Horwath took to the skies to visit three fly in communities with local NDP member of provincial parliament Sol Mamakwa.In Neskantaga First Nation, the duo toured the community’s new water treatment plant which is under construction.Last winter, Neskanta fired the contractor for being behind schedule.The community has been under a boil water advisory for 25 years and the plant was supposed to be completed months ago.But Chief Chris Moonias said even when the plant is finished and they have clean water coming out of the taps, the long terms effects will still be felt.“Well it’s going to be hard even after when it’s commissioned, right?,” he said. “It’s going to be hard to even trust the water, right?”Horwath said the federal and provincial governments have an obligation to ensure First Nations have water treatment plants that last.“And it’s to the point of course now where there’s an entire generation that has no trust or confidence whatsoever, that turning on a tap whether that be here in the community or whether that be somewhere like Thunder Bay, that the water that’s coming out is going to be safe,” said Horwath.Horwath and Mamakwa also visited Kingfisher Lake and Attawapiskat.“We’re going to put down in writing what we’ve heard, make sure it reflects what we, that what was spoken reflects what we thought we heard,” she said. “We always have to check back to make sure that we’re respectful and we’re not interpreting something the wrong way.”Horwath said she’ll be pushing the government of Doug Ford, and the federal government to fix the issues the chiefs identified.wfiddler@aptn.ca@willowblasizzolast_img read more

Measles has been confirmed in British Columbia and Alberta

first_imgThe Public Health Agency of Canada has advised Alberta Health Services (AHS) that an individual with lab-confirmed measles visited Leduc, while infectious. To see the date and times of areas that may have been exposed to measles; CLICK HERE14 cases have been reported to the BCCDC, two of the 14 cases acquired the illness while travelling abroad; the cases are unrelated to previous reports of measles in the Lower Mainland.Reported by BCCDC an exposure alert has been issued by Vancouver Coastal Health for Vancouver International Airport (YVR) and Richmond. For more information on Measles in B.C; CLICK HERE EDMONTON, AB /VANCOUVER, B.C. – The Alberta Health Services (AHS) and B.C. Centre of Disease Control (BCCDC) have both confirmed cases of Measles.Measles is a highly contagious viral infection that spreads through the air by coughing and sneezing, as well by respiratory secretions causing fever and a red rash on the skin, typically occurring in childhood.As of February 24th, 2019,last_img read more

Many urinal trips in night hints at high BP

first_imgIf you need to visit urinal frequently in the night, get your blood pressure checked as researchers say it may be a sign of hypertension. “Our study indicates if you need to urinate in the night – called nocturia – you may have elevated blood pressure and/or excess fluid in your body. If you continue to have nocturia, ask your doctor to check your blood pressure and salt intake,” said study author Satoshi Konno of Tohoku Rosai Hospital in Sendai, Japan. Also Read – An income drop can harm brainThe study examined the link between nocturia and hypertension in the general Japanese population. The researchers enrolled 3,749 people who had an annual health check in 2017. Blood pressure was measured and information on nocturia was obtained through questionnaire. Nocturia (one or more nocturia events per night) was significantly associated with hypertension, showed the findings presented at the 83rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Japanese Circulation Society (JCS 2019). The risk of hypertension rose significantly as the number of nocturia events per night increased. “We found that getting up in the night to urinate was linked to a 40 per cent greater chance of having hypertension. And more visits to the toilet, the greater the risk of hypertension,” Konno said.last_img read more

Anganwadis NGOs and children groups help DCPCR keep tabs on child marriages

first_imgNew Delhi: With the help of Anganwadi’s, Non-Governmental Organizations and children groups, the Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) are keeping a tab on the child marriages in the city.According to the child rights body, they have asked these three groups to remain alert every time especially in the months of May, June and July. “During these months, summer holiday begins and we are probing a fact whether families took their children to their native’s place for conducting child marriage,” DCPCR official said. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarThe DCPCR official Rita Singh said that currently in four districts of city, awareness programme against child marriage is going on. The focus is given on the clusters. “We have told Anganwadi’s, Non-Governmental Organizations and children groups to inform the commission if they found anything suspicious,” said Singh. She further said that they have told Anganwadi’s to keep a regular tab on the children who are registered with them. “Some NGOs have small children groups who inform them about any suspicious activities related to kids. The NGOs can further inform commission for the solution,” added DCPCR official. Also Read – Union min Hardeep Singh Puri, Delhi L-G lay foundation stones for various projects in DwarkaAccording to the child rights body, they have conducted 40-day awareness programmes in different clusters this year. “With the help of street plays, paintings, we have conducted awareness,” said Singh. The official further stated that more focus was given in the months of January, February and March when parents are here in the city with their children. “They were told about the menace of child marriage,” added official. The DCPCR is currently probing a case of child marriage involving a minor boy. With the help of an NGO, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) made a report (titled India Child Marriage and teenage pregnancy) has revealed that the child marriage has long term negative consequences for both boys and girls. The adverse effect of early marriage on girls is grave. This includes early pregnancy, educational setbacks, lower employment prospects, exposure to violence and abuse-leading to negative physical and psychological outcomes.last_img read more

Football According to report Michigan quarterback Wilton Speight out for rest of

Michigan junior quarterback Wilton Speight (3) looks downfield for an open receiver during first-half action against Central Florida at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich., on Saturday, Sept. 10. Courtesy of TNSThe final regular season game for Ohio State against Michigan will kickoff without the Wolverines starting signal-caller. In Michigan’s loss against Iowa on Saturday, redshirt sophomore quarterback Wilton Speight reportedly broke his collarbone.The injury will keep Speight out for the remainder of the regular season. According to mgoblog.com, the redshirt sophomore could return to the Wolverines for a bowl game, but will not be able to play for the next two weeks.Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh denied the report on his weekly radio show, saying that a doctor had not told him Speight would be unavailable for the rest of the regular season.Although injuries are never a positive note, the Buckeyes could benefit from the absence of Speight, who has thrown for 2,156 yards and 15 touchdowns this season. John O’Korn, a senior transfer from Houston, is likely to start against the Hoosiers.O’Korn has thrown just 18 passes this year, two of which were for touchdowns.The last time a backup quarterback started a game at Ohio Stadium, the Buckeyes were on the wrong end of a 17-14 affair with Michigan State. This time, OSU will have more time to prepare for a different quarterback, considering then-junior Tyler O’Connor replaced injured Michigan State starter Connor Cook just before kickoff, last year. The announcement of the injury comes two weeks before The Game. Although history has a tendency to repeat itself, this is an instance in which the Buckeyes hope to rewrite the story. read more

More Damages revealed in TCI following Hurricane Joaquin

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Turks and Caicos is first to add Disaster Management to the Tourism portfolio Related Items:causeway, DDME, fortis tci, hurriicane joaquin TCI: Hard-working DDME lauded as Hurricane Preparedness Month officially opened TCI: More active Hurricane Season predicted and DDME gives thorough update on its readiness Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 07 Oct 2015 – A Lew 1 Shipping tug boat was lost, a barge owned by Clay Arthur is ruined and vehicles in the parking lot of Belfield Landing in Kew, North Caicos were destroyed and that is just some of the damages on the country’s bread basket island after the recent storm. Reports continue to come in on the losses from Hurricane Joaquin, which last week, for three days battered the islands in its outer bands as it moved up the TCI and Bahamas archipelago. It is said, some owners of those parked vehicles at Belfield are not yet even aware of the loss. The Premier, following a Saturday damage assessment tour of affected islands did say the Government farm was hard hit and Magnetic Media has learned that specifically means trees are uprooted with a substantial loss in fruit trees at the site. FortisTCI has also been summoned to North Caicos to sort out a twist of trees and power lines near the Government farm. Flooding this time around in the North was minimal, water has subsided and only debris is left for clean-up. The causeway is under phase two construction right now following battering in the 2008 hurricane season, and the temporary roadway created as a bypass between North and Middle Caicos while work continues, has been underwater since the storm; reports are it was impassable.There was also a truck lost in the hurricane; the Public Works Department vehicle was washed away by a giant wave, we are told. The Disaster Management Department will speak to Magnetic Media later today as it continues damage assessment and confronts public criticism that there was insufficient information coming and that caused residents to be unprepared for the ferociousness of Hurricane Joaquin. Recommended for youlast_img read more