Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ ‘1917’ takes top honor at the Producers Guild Awards Still, Garcia was happy to see the way his players battled down low as the Elasto Painters took care of the boards and outrebounded the Bolts, 64-54.“I liked the effort of the boys in the second half. We battled the boards, we’re able to come back, and we even nearly take the lead, but I think Meralco just executed better,” he said. “We had lapses, but I keep on telling the players that there’s no such thing as perfect defense for four quarters. I like the players’ efforts in the second half and hopefully, we can bring that to our next game.”Rain or Shine battles unbeaten Alaska on Sunday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.ADVERTISEMENT Palace: Crisis over ABC-CBN franchise unlikely Taal Volcano evacuees warned against going home Palma laying everything on the line in last year with FEU Wildlife rescuers asked to turn over animals to DENR ‘It’s not my shame’: Why Filipino women are calling out sexual misconduct on social media Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netRain or Shine coach Caloy Garcia shrugged off his team’s first defeat in the 2017 PBA Commissioner’s Cup in a game where the the Elasto Painters fired blanks en route to an 89-93 loss to Meralco.“We knew that they won’t going to give us any three-point shot, but I told the players at halftime we just have to keep on taking it. And once we keep on making it, it might change the tempo of the game. Unfortunately, we only made four threes,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT Duterte promises to look for funds to establish rail transport in Cebu ‘Bad Boys for Life’ debuts so good with box office top spot The Elasto Painters’ 4-of-32 clip from beyond the arc is just the tip of the iceberg. The team shot a paltry 30-percent from the field and failed to share the rock as the Bolts dominated the assists category, 18-9.READ: Meralco averts meltdown, holds off Rain or ShineFEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSBreak new groundSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnGarcia believes that had if Rain or Shine made at least two more threes, it would still be toting an undefeated card.“We had our open looks. If we had made two or three more three-pointers, we could have probably won the game. Maybe that’s the game plan of Meralco — to make us take those kind of shots,” he said. Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Marcos monument beside Aquino’s stirs Tarlac town Prince Harry: ‘No other option’ but to cut royal ties View comments
Some 300 fruit trees were distributed to residents of Bartica, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) during this year’s Green Walk Exercise which was held in observation of National Tree Planting Day, being celebrated under the theme ‘Sustaining Biodiversity: Plant a Tree’.Dozens of residents participated in the walk which commenced from First Avenue and ended at Golden Beach, where there was a simple presentation by Business and Tourism Minister Dominic Gaskin and Bartica Mayor Gifford Marshall.With Bartica earmarked to lead the way for Guyana’s transition into a model green economy, the initiative was aimed at educating the population on the benefits of making more environmentally friendly decisions.Participants in the Bartica Green Walk Exercise pose with their plants as they cool down at the Golden BeachAccording to Mayor Marshall, the transformation into a green economy will bring numerous social, economic and environmental benefits to the entire of Guyana.Over the past few months, the municipality of Bartica committed to the five stages of the “Green Economy” as was outlined by President David Granger during the first Tree Planting Day ceremony last year. The stages are sustainable exploitation of our natural resources; environmental protection; promoting sustainable energy; promotion of sound ecological services and green technology.“As a result, Bartica becoming the cleanest and greenest town in Guyana is now well within our grasp. The establishment of a municipal solid waste department and the continued transformation of the Byderabo “Dump Site” is testimony to our commitment of a cleaner greener Bartica,” he noted.The Bartica Mayor noted too that the development of a Green Park is another indication of the municipality’s commitment to become a green town.Marshall added that under the astute leadership of the Communities Minister Ronald Bulkan, Bartica now has a Local Economic Development Strategic Plan for the next three to five years.This short to medium-term LED Strategic Plan is fully integrated with Bartica’s green township plan, which carries a 15-20 year implementation period, and is led by the Ministry of the Presidency under Rear Admiral Gary Best.These two plans when implemented will transition Bartica into using fully renewable energy, sustainable organic agriculture development, establish Bartica as an information and communications technology centre of excellence, among other revolutionary changes.“While these large-scale changes are taking place at the community level, there are still important steps that can be taken at the individual and organisational level towards accomplishing these overall goals,” he explained.The Mayor stressed that it is in this context that the seemingly simple exercise of planting individual trees can take on such a profound meaning because with simple individual acts, the cumulative effects of these will impact the aesthetics, appearance, and attractiveness of the community.“The combined efforts of many residents doing their individual parts to bring us along this developmental journey should not be underestimated. If we all continue to do our individual parts to the best of our ability, together our efforts can be multiplied, we can achieve greatness for this type town that we all call home,” he underscored.Among the fruit trees distributed include guavas, cherries, tangerines, limes, and oranges.
The team coached by Kevin Wambua bounced back from a 14-19 loss against Poland to edge out Tribe Sevens 14-7 and keep their cup title ambitions in the International Invitational Women’s Category at the Dubai Sevens alive.Stung by the Poles in their second pool B fixture, the Lionesses came into this match like a wounded Lioness getting the better of the Tribe on offense and defense, landing their tries through captain Philadelphia Olando and Sheila Chagira.In the opening match, the Lionesses beat Belgium 17-12 to start their campaign on the high.It was a closely fought contest but the Lionesses managed to squeeze through and start on a positive note.Olando unconverted effort gave the Lionesses a 5-0 lead before the Belgians briefly led the Kenyans with a converted effort. It took a turn of speed from Janet Okello to touch down and give the Lionesses the lead with Janet Owino adding the conversion for a 12-7 lead at the break.Okello’s second try in mid second half saw the Lionesses go 17-7 up, Belgium landing at the death, an inconsequential touchdown as the Kenyans started their campaign on a winning note.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000The Kenya Lionesses team posing for a photo after qualifying for the Dubai 7s quarters.PHOTO/KRUNAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 1 – The national women’s sevens team are through to the Main Cup quarter-final after beating Ireland Women Development side 20-12 in Dubai Sevens on Thursday.The Kenya Lionesses will now face Tabusoro Angels in a match to be played on Friday at 8:40am Kenyan time at The Sevens Stadium.
The appeals chamber of Switzerland’s Federal Criminal Court said it had struck down the FIFA official’s appeal because it deemed “there was a risk that the appellant would abscond if released.”The court did not identify which of the football executives had filed the rejected appeal.But a source close to the case said it was 83-year-old Uruguayan Eugenio Figueredo, a FIFA vice president and former head of the South American football association CONMEBOL and of the Uruguay football association.“The arguments put forward in support of his release, such as his advanced age and poor state of health, were not regarded as sufficient to counter the risk of absconding,” the court said.“The court took into account that appellant has no close ties to Switzerland and is more than capable of travelling long distances,” it said.“Measures such as money bail, electronic monitoring, etc would not adequately reduce the risk of flight,” it said, adding that “based on a report from the Zurich prison medical services… there is no medical reason why the appellant should not remain in detention.”Figueredo was one of two FIFA vice presidents caught up in the May 27 sting on a luxury Zurich hotel, where seven top football officials were arrested over allegations they were involved in accepting more than $150 million in bribes.They are now fighting extradition to the United States.FIFA has since been engulfed in a crisis that has seen 18 people, including Figueredo, indicted in the United States, and the federation’s once seemingly invincible chief Sepp Blatter announce he would step down after 17 years.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000GENEVA, June 26 – A Swiss court said Friday it had rejected an appeal filed by one of seven football officials arrested in Zurich last month demanding that he be released from custody pending extradition proceedings.
Associated Press WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected diversity plans in two major school districts that take race into account in assigning students but left the door open for using race in limited circumstances. The decision in cases affecting schools in Louisville, Ky., and Seattle could imperil similar plans in hundreds of districts nationwide, and it further restricts how public school systems may attain racial diversity. The court split, 5-4, with Chief Justice John Roberts announcing the court’s judgment. The court’s four liberal justices dissented. The districts “failed to show that they considered methods other than explicit racial classifications to achieve their stated goals,” Roberts said. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 Steven Gerrard Penny for your thoughts Brendan?After a shambolic first half showing in Steven Gerrard’s final Liverpool appearance, the Reds found themselves 5-0 down at the break against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium.Records suggest this was the first time in Liverpool’s history that the club had found themselves in such a predicament, and the pressure on the under fire Reds’ manager Brendan Rodgers will only increase after an underwhelming season.As you’d expect, social media went into meltdown following an extraordinary first 45 minutes, and below are some of the best reactions.
Sir Alex Ferguson insists the decision to appoint David Moyes as Manchester United manager was still the right call, despite his sacking less than a year into a six-year contract.The former Everton manager was the man chosen to follow Ferguson’s legendary reign at Old Trafford following his retirement in 2013, but he lasted only nine months before being replaced by Dutch coach Louis van Gaal.Ferguson says he looked at Jurgen Klopp, Carlo Ancelotti, Pep Guardiola, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho – “a spectacular manager” – as potential successors, but they had all committed to other projects by the time he had decided to call time on his illustrious managerial career.And while he admits the handover to Moyes could have been handled better, he is adamant he always gave his fellow Scot his support, and is fully behind new boss Van Gaal, too.“I understand why critics, particularly in light of the 2013-14 season, say we should have handled the transition better,” Ferguson said in his new book, ‘Leading’.“I just wanted David and United to win – just as I do these days with Louis van Gaal.Sir Alex, who claimed TV cameras are now trained on him in the directors box at every United match, added: “I think they hoped they would catch me acting like Statler or Waldorf, the two curmudgeons in the Muppets, who are always criticising what is happening on the stage.”The 73-year-old also insists he was never tempted to return to the dugout following Moyes’ dismissal.“There were some who wanted me to return to the sidelines. But I was not tempted,” he said.Former golden boy Ryan Giggs, tipped by Van Gaal to be a future United boss, also gets a glowing reference from Ferguson in the book.“Ryan Giggs is eventually going to be a great manager – he has intelligence, presence and knowledge.” Former Manchester United manager David Moyes 1
1 The police presence in Hannover for Tuesday night’s match Germany’s international friendly against Holland was called off at late notice on Tuesday evening after a warning that it would be targeted by terrorists.The match in Hanover was due to begin at 7.45pm GMT but a security alert saw police step in at around 6pm to prevent it taking place.Germany were caught up in the attacks on Paris on Friday, with explosions heard outside the Stade de France during their friendly against France as suicide bombers detonated devices.Attacks in the French capital, claimed by Islamic State jihadists, have so far claimed at least 129 lives.Germany’s federal minister of the interior, Thomas de Maiziere, did not detail the threat in Hanover, asking only to be trusted that the decision to call off the game was a necessary one.He said in a televised press conference: “We were all looking forward to the game, which was a special gesture of football and this makes it all the more bitter to have to take this decision, which was particularly hard to take, but in the slightest doubt, our priority was to protect people.“I can understand all the questions relating to what was the background? What could have happened? Why we had to call the game off? What made the decision so clear? I can understand these questions, but please understand that I would not like to give an answer.“Why? Because some of the answers would unsettle people, and it could make things difficult for us in future in making such decisions, be it in Hanover or elsewhere.“I would just like to ask the German public to trust us, the Interior Ministry, that we had good reasons to make this decision, but it does not help for us to provide any further details.”German broadcaster NDR had earlier quoted Hanover police chief Volker Kluwe as saying: “We have had concrete evidence that someone wanted to ignite an explosive device at the stadium.”Dutch newspaper Telegraaf said one suspicious package was found that was later shown to be harmless, while a senior regional official said there was nothing sinister found in searches in and around the Niedersachsenstadion.The German football federation (DFB) announced in a short Twitter statement shortly after 7pm GMT: “The team are in a safe place. The match will not go ahead.”The Minister of the Interior for the state of Lower Saxony, Boris Pistorius, said: “No explosives have been found and no arrests have been made.”Over 40,000 supporters were expected at the match, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel.Pistorius said no risks could be taken in view of the events in Paris.“It is very regrettable that this game had to be called off,” Pistorius said. “We all wanted to send out a signal, which makes this decision so bitter.“After the indications we received, we knew we could not stage this game. There was no way for us to misinterpret the signs.“We will have greater police ranks out all night to show that we are there and that we are ensuring and can ensure people’s safety.”Acting DFB president Reinhard Rauball said: “It’s a sad day for Germany and a sad day for German football.“It’s a shame for many football fans who were looking forward to a great game, a game which was to be played under different conditions to usual football games – in the spirit of respect, and as a sign against violence and terrorism.“For our team, within just four days, to have to go through such a tragic situation twice is not something I could have imagined.“Thanks again to the security forces. I have great respect for the decision and know how hard it was to take it, but the safety of people is paramount.“The team was five kilometres away from the stadium at the time and turned around and went to a secure place, as did the Dutch team.”Earlier on Tuesday, arrests were made in Aachen in relation to the Paris attacks.Belgium’s friendly against Spain, which was also scheduled to be played on Tuesday, was cancelled on Monday night due to the increased terrorism threat.
11 11 22. Henrikh Mkhitaryan (attacking midfield) 11 1. David De Gea (goalkeeper) – click the right arrow, above, to see Manchester United’s predicted XI (4-2-3-1) to face Sunderland, in squad number order… Manchester United will be without Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young for Sunday’s Premier League clash at struggling Sunderland.Captain Rooney missed the midweek draw with Everton due to ankle issues, while Young was forced off with an apparent groin injury in that game at Old Trafford.Antonio Valencia should return in Young’s place after being rested, while Juan Mata [groin], Phil Jones [toe] and Chris Smalling [knee] are long-term absentees.Jose Mourinho may select his team with one eye on Thursday’s Europa League quarter-final first-leg clash at Anderlecht.United and England midfielder Jesse Lingard will be hoping for a starting place just days after penning a new £100,000-a-week deal with the club. Meanwhile Anthony Martial could come back into the side in place of Marcus Rashford after the latter’s poor showing against the Toffees.The Red Devils have not lost in the league since October and will be hoping to extend that run against basement club Sunderland, managed by Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor in David Moyes.Click the right arrow, above, to see the predicted Manchester United XI [4-2-3-1] to face Sunderland at the Stadium of Light… 3. Eric Bailly (centre-back) 11 11 11 9. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (forward) 17. Daley Blind (left-back) 11 21. Ander Herrera (midfield) 14. Jesse Lingard (attacking midfield) 5. Marcos Rojo (centre-back) 11. Anthony Martial (attacking midfield) 11 11 11 11 25. Antonio Valencia (right-back) 6. Paul Pogba (midfield)