FIFA official to remain in custody

first_imgThe appeals chamber of Switzerland’s Federal Criminal Court said it had struck down the FIFA official’s appeal because it deemed “there was a risk that the appellant would abscond if released.”The court did not identify which of the football executives had filed the rejected appeal.But a source close to the case said it was 83-year-old Uruguayan Eugenio Figueredo, a FIFA vice president and former head of the South American football association CONMEBOL and of the Uruguay football association.“The arguments put forward in support of his release, such as his advanced age and poor state of health, were not regarded as sufficient to counter the risk of absconding,” the court said.“The court took into account that appellant has no close ties to Switzerland and is more than capable of travelling long distances,” it said.“Measures such as money bail, electronic monitoring, etc would not adequately reduce the risk of flight,” it said, adding that “based on a report from the Zurich prison medical services… there is no medical reason why the appellant should not remain in detention.”Figueredo was one of two FIFA vice presidents caught up in the May 27 sting on a luxury Zurich hotel, where seven top football officials were arrested over allegations they were involved in accepting more than $150 million in bribes.They are now fighting extradition to the United States.FIFA has since been engulfed in a crisis that has seen 18 people, including Figueredo, indicted in the United States, and the federation’s once seemingly invincible chief Sepp Blatter announce he would step down after 17 years.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000GENEVA, June 26 – A Swiss court said Friday it had rejected an appeal filed by one of seven football officials arrested in Zurich last month demanding that he be released from custody pending extradition proceedings.last_img read more

SoPas to hold clean-air car show

first_imgThe day will highlight the need for a variety of different energy sources, while creating awareness of the crippling effects of pollution on the environment and human health. The event also will include free screenings of the documentary “Who Killed the Electric Car” and Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth” at the Rialto Theater, as well as seminars on global warming, the harmful effect of vehicle emissions, tax incentives for alternative fuel and mass-transit options. Cacciotti said the clean-air show will only strengthen the city’s reputation as an environmental leader. In April, South Pasadena was awarded the South Coast Air Quality Management District’s “model city” award. AQMD officials said they were impressed with city policies and programs, including a lawnmower exchange program. To encourage public transportation, the city has employed clean- burning fuel buses to take commuters to and from Gold Line train stations. And the city offers discounted parking permits to drivers of low-emission vehicles. “We’re already a leader,” Caccioti said. “We’ve influenced the whole San Gabriel valley to look at this. We’re setting an example for others to follow.” [email protected] (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4494160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SOUTH PASADENA – The city is getting revved up to host its first clean-air car show and film festival this Sunday. More than 20 alternative energy vehicles will be on display, including a solar-powered Toyota Prius and a natural-gas powered Honda Civic, a fuel- cell powered Honda FCHX2, and an electric- powered ZAP car. While many of the vehicles present will be powered by next generation technology not sold to the public, commercially available vehicles will also be exhibited. But the point of the show isn’t necessarily to drive home in a shiny new low-emissions car, said South Pasadena Mayor Michael Cacciotti, who planned the event. last_img read more

Listen: Barry Meehan expecting ‘huge challenge’ for St Naul’s in Ulster semi

first_imgST NAUL’S stand an hour away from the Ulster Intermediate final – but boss Barry Meehan says his men face a mammoth task on Sunday.St Naul’s take on Galbally from Tyrone at Celtic Park with a berth in the Ulster decider up for grans.St Naul’s, who came from nine points down against Naomh Columba in a Donegal IFC quarter-final, ended their years of pain in winning the county title, but now they’ve lifted their sights once more. “We’re expecting a huge, huge challenge,” Meehan told Donegal Daily/Donegal Sport Hub.“They’re a serious side. I’ve been very impressed with them. People are talking about them being the favourites for the Ulster Intermediate.“They’re really on an upward curve and we’re ready for a huge battle.”St Naul’s have come through the mill at times in 2019 and Meehan believes that experience will stand to the Mountcharles side. Meehan said: “I do believe we’re battle-hardened. Division 2 in Donegal was a great experience for us. We had a lot of games when we had to come back from the jaws of defeat. That has stood us in good stead for the Championship.”Listen to the full interview below …Listen: Barry Meehan expecting ‘huge challenge’ for St Naul’s in Ulster semi was last modified: November 14th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:2019 Ulster club IFCBarry MeehanBrendan McColeMOUNTCHARLESPeadar MohanSt.NaulsStephen Griffinlast_img read more