Fleck victorious in first game as head coach with win over BuffaloQuarterbacks Conor Rhoda and Demry Croft combined for 239 passing yards and one touchdown.Easton GreenQuarterback Demry Croft hands the ball to running back Rodney Smith at TCF Bank Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017. The Gophers beat Buffalo 17-7. Jack WarrickSeptember 1, 2017Jump to CommentsShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailPrintShannon Brooks’ 1-yard touchdown with under a minute left in the first quarter proved to be the dagger Thursday night at TCF Bank Stadium.That score gave the Gophers a one-touchdown lead, and Minnesota added a field goal later on to make it 17-7, giving head coach P.J. Fleck a win in his first game as the Gophers new head coach.“It wasn’t pretty. It wasn’t necessarily what I wanted to see,” Fleck said. “That doesn’t matter to me. What matters to me [is] they found a way to win.”Fleck played both Conor Rhoda and Demry Croft at quarterback Thursday night. Rhoda played more than Croft and completed 12-21 passes with 176 yards with no rushing yards. Croft went 7-11 with 63 passing yards and 32 rushing.The Gophers defense held Buffalo to seven points. They allowed one receiving touchdown and 211 passing yards with 51 yards on the ground.Defensive back Antonio Shenault led the Gophers defense with 10 tackles.“Our defense was playing phenomenal,” Fleck said. “They kept us in the game.”Wide receiver Tyler Johnson helped the Gophers earn the victory with his breakout performance.Johnson matched his stats in the first game of his sophomore year on Thursday night with exactly 141 yards and a touchdown.“I would say I’m very comfortable,” Johnson said. “I have a good understanding about what I need to do, what release I need to do, what break point I need to make coming off of the line and things like that.” On the second drive for the Gophers, Rhoda threw a deep ball to Johnson for a 61-yard touchdown and the first score of the game. “[Johnson] comes to play when the lights are on,” Rhoda said. “He’s just a gamer, a smart kid, comes to work every day and he’s gotten a ton better since he first got here.”Running backs Rodney Smith and Brooks were expected to carry the Gophers but were limited against the Bulls. Smith had 77 yards and Brooks was held to 71.Last year, the Gophers put up 183.6 yards per game rushing and 173.6 yards per game in receiving. This game, the Gophers rushed for 169 yards and passed for 239.Both kickers missed two field goals each. Buffalo’s kicker, Adam Mitcheson, missed a 40-yard kick in the first quarter that would have put them on the board. In the second quarter, he had a kick blocked that would have put his team ahead.Minnesota kicker Emmit Carpenter missed a 50-yard kick and a 36-yard kick before sealing the victory for the Gophers with a 43-yard field goal near the end of the fourth quarter.“He had to come in to seal the game with 1:40 left from 40 yards,” Fleck said. “It just shows his resiliency and response. You can see the culture working inside him.”The 6-foot-7-inch, 245-pound Buffalo quarterback Tyree Jackson put up 211 passing yards and kept the Bulls within two possessions of the Gophers for the whole game.“I’ve learned in my short career you never not enjoy a win,” Fleck said. “We have make sure that we continue to do all the right things.”
Brazilian defensive midfielder Alex Santana is already a football player of Ludogorets. On Wednesday, the nine-time champion of Bulgaria and Botafogo finalized the deal for the midfielder. Part of it was the transfer of Rafael Forster to the team from Rio de Janeiro, where the coach is currently Paulo Autori. Santana has been in Ludogorets’ plans for a long time, and has been closely monitored by the scout unit for a long time.Alex has already agreed on his personal terms and will play with №7. It will be presented to the media in Razgrad on Friday, July 24 at 13:00 at Huvepharma Arena. Source: ludogorets.com Alex Santana is a teenager of another Brazilian grandmaster – International (Porto Alegre). Before moving to Botafogo, the midfielder played for Parana and Guarani. With the team of the team from Rio de Janeiro, Santana has 10 goals in all tournaments last season.“I like Razgrad. I feel at home. I found many friends in the team. I hope to help Ludogorets continue its success in Bulgaria and Europe,” said Alex Santana, who has been in Razgrad for six days and has already held several training sessions with the champions. .Cowley: Ludogorets is the best team, the organization is like in GermanyThe Brazilian is easily accustomed to the situation in our country Source: ludogorets.com
“I believe it is time to turn the franchise over to new ownership,” Richardson wrote, saying he wouldn’t begin discussions until after the season. The Panthers, who lost in the Super Bowl two seasons ago, are in playoff position again.“I hope everyone in the organization, both on and off the field, will be firmly focused on one mission: to play and win the Super Bowl,” said Richardson, 81.Richardson’s letter did not directly address the investigation or allegations against him.The NFL awarded Richardson, a former player with the Baltimore Colts, an expansion franchise in 1993, and he has been the team’s only owner.“There has been no greater mission or purpose in my life than to have brought an NFL franchise to Charlotte,” Richardson wrote. “The obstacles back then were significant and some even questioned whether or community could or would support professional football. But I always knew that if given the chance the Carolina would rise to the occasion. And you have.”Richardson attended Sunday’s win over the Green Bay Packers at Bank of America Stadium and was photographed sitting beside his wife Rosalind in his luxury box.He did not speak to reporters.The NFL had no comment on the upcoming sale of the Panthers.“While I will no longer be the team owner, I will always be the Panthers Number One fan,” Richardson’s letter said.The Panthers are tied to Charlotte through June 2019.The city of Charlotte and the Panthers reached agreement on improvements for the team’s stadium in 2013. The plan called for the city to contribute about $87 million for renovations to Bank of America Stadium in exchange for a six-year hard tether to keep the Panthers in Charlotte.The money is less than what the team was seeking for improvements of the stadium, which opened in 1996. Forbes estimates the Panthers worth at $2.3 billion. The Buffalo Bills sold in 2014 for $1.4 billion following the death of owner Ralph Wilson.Richardson and his ownership group paid $206 million in 1993 for an expansion team.Richardson’s announcement comes after a Sports Illustrated reportSunday that cited unnamed sources who said Richardson made sexually suggestive comments to women and on at least one occasion directed a racial slur at an African-American Panthers scout. The report states that the settlements came with non-disclosure requirements forbidding the parties from discussing the details.The NFL on Sunday said it has taken over the investigation of allegations of workplace misconduct. Panthers spokesman Steven Drummond said Sunday the team requested the league take over the investigation for “transparency reasons.”Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones called the situation surrounding Richardson “very sad.”“I’m saddened by any of the stories of the things that might have incited this at this time,” Jones said after Dallas’ win at Oakland on Sunday night. “He took what he made in his short time in pro football and turned it into a great business and then used that to get the Carolina franchise.”The Panthers began play in 1995 but have never delivered on Richardson’s promise of winning a Super Bowl. They lost after the 2003 and 2015 seasons.Panthers interim general manager Marty Hurney said he had never seen any evidence of Richardson displaying any sexual or racial misconduct in the workplace.“If this (sale) happens I think it is a significant loss for the NFL,” Hurney told The Associated Press. “I have the utmost respect for him as an owner. Our employees have the utmost respect for him. I came back because of the respect I have for him and for the organization he started and developed.”Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said after Sunday’s win over Green Bay that Richardson has served as a father figure to him since his arrival in Carolina seven years ago.“For me I hope things don’t alter my thinking of Mr. Richardson,” Newton said. “But I do know that he has given me some things that I will forever be appreciative of.”Panthers coach Ron Rivera said after the game it is important to let the process play out.“The only thing I can speak on is for what he has been to me as far as I’m concerned,” Rivera said. “A lot of you know I had a house fire, and he was there for (my wife) Stephanie and I. He was tremendous in supporting us. My brother passed, and Mr. Richardson was there and helped me get to the funeral and back. I can’t speak to anything other than that.”Richardson was hospitalized 2008, one month after receiving a pacemaker for heart problems. He underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2002 and was placed on a donor waiting list for a new heart. He received the new heart on Feb. 1, 2009, and has not had any known setbacks since.It has been a wild year for the Panthers organization.Team president Danny Morrison abruptly resigned in February. Richardson then fired general manager Dave Gettleman on the eve of training camp and replaced him with Hurney on an interim basis.___For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP_NFL CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Facing a growing investigation that accuses him of sexual misconduct and using racist language at work, Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson announced Sunday that he will sell the NFL team after the season.The team announced on Twitter that Richardson is selling the team, linking to a five-paragraph letter by the franchise’s only owner. Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, top center, watches during the first half of an NFL football game between the Carolina Panthers and the Green Bay Packers in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, Dec. 17, 2017. (AP Photo/Mike McCarn)
Much like his Embiid, who only started playing basketball at 15, Ngannou was a late-bloomer to mixed martial arts. He was raised as one of five children in the poverty-stricken village of Batie and was only 12 when he went to work in the sand mines to support his family. Basically raised by a single mother, Ngannou was a Tyson fan and wanted to box, so he dabbled and drained in the sport for a few years. He knew there was little future in fighting stuck in the mines and realized if he wanted to become serious about the sport, he’d have to leave Cameroon.“If it was easy for me, I would have stayed in Cameroon,” Ngannou said. “I like to be close to my family. But one day, I felt like I didn’t have a choice. I left everything of my 26 years life behind me, closed the door and go somewhere where I don’t know what it looks like.”His new home was Paris. But Ngannou had no friends, no plan, no support system and lived on the streets. Ngannou worked in the kitchen for a humanitarian organization that helped homeless in Paris.“Being in the street in Paris, it wasn’t scary,” he said. “I embraced that situation because I knew worse than that. I’ve been in a worse situation than that one. Being in the streets in Paris was more comfortable than almost all the situations I’ve been though in my life.”And the worst situation?“I wasn’t able to have a kid life,” he said. “It’s not a good one. I don’t like it.”Ngannou found his way in his 20s and eventually visited the MMA Factory where he met his eventual coach, Fernand Lopez. Lopez would convince Ngannou to forget about boxing and drilled him in jiujitsu and wrestling and a career in MMA.Ngannou made his pro debut in 2013 and was in UFC about two years later in December 2015.Ngannou, who speaks French and English, has not forgot his past and was offended when President Donald Trump reportedly used a profane term to describe African countries last week.“All those people that he was talking about are people like us,” he said. “It’s kind of difficult to accept a thing like that. For myself, the goal for me was to lift my country and (to) see someone who just wants to break that dream, that hope for people (is tough). This guy is like a shame for America. America was built from immigration. America is the country that the world, the poor countries look at and, not expect America to give them something, but just to look at them as an example and build their own country and get a better situation.”Ngannou’s family is still in Cameroon and he wanted his mother and a 17-year-old brother (“he’s very smart”) to come live in the United States.Up first, a shot at the title.Standing in his way is Miocic (17-2), who has a date with heavyweight history and will set the UFC record for consecutive title defenses in the division at three with a victory.Ngannou has one plan — for that UFC title to get wrapped around his waist.“Life beat me up a lot of times,” Ngannou said, “and I want to take my revenge.” FILE- In this Dec. 2, 2017, file photo, Francis Ngannou, left, hits Alistair Overeem in the first round during a UFC 218 heavyweight mixed martial arts bout, in Detroit. (AP Photo/Jose Juarez, File)BOSTON (AP) — Francis Ngannou has knockout power that snaps back heads like Pez dispensers and earned him comparisons to Mike Tyson in his ferocious heyday.Ngannou has stood tall against all opposition in his UFC career and his terrifying run has shaped the challenger into the betting favorite in the heavyweight champion bout against Stipe Miocic.He’s not afraid to go face-to-face with anyone — even against his fellow Cameroon native, Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid. Ngannou, 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, was absolutely dwarfed by the 7-2 Embiid in a visit Thursday morning at Sixers shootaround .Ngannou was ready to pull on his MMA gloves.“He should be my next opponent,” Ngannou said.“I think I’d kick his ass,” Embiid said, laughing.Embiid pulled in Ngannou for a bro hug and predicted the No. 1 contender would win by knockout in the second round.“That’s a good prediction,” Ngannou said.It would also be a long night of work for Ngannou. The 31-year-old Ngannou (11-1) hasn’t needed to go beyond the first round in any of his last four bouts and has never gone past the second in his 12 pro fights.Knock out Miocic, and Ngannou would complete the made-for-movies tale of homeless to heavyweight champ and position himself as perhaps UFC’s most dominant big man since Brock Lesnar.Ngannou fights just seven weeks after his stunning victory of Alistair Overeem at UFC 218 on a left uppercut that rolled the eyes of the fallen foe to the back of his head. The crushing KO has been replayed in perpetuity to hype Saturday’s fight.At Fenway Park, the heavy hitter said he can’t escape the clip of his biggest swing.“Any time I open my email, my Instagram, my story, people send it to me in different versions,” Ngannou said. “I think I did very well. It was all about to connect. And I connected.”Blink and you might miss the crowning of a new champ.“Good for him. He got a great knockout,” Miocic said.Ngannou’s rise was hardly as swift.
PLAYING netball with your mum may sound like public humiliation to some teenage girls. But for one group of Nar…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By BRIDGET SCOTT A 25-YEAR-OLD event in Berwick will go ahead in October after failing to run earlier in the…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.