Governor-General, His Excellency the Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen, has called on newly appointed Ministers to work “collaboratively” in the execution of the policies and programmes for Jamaica. Governor-General, His Excellency the Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen, has called on newly appointed Ministers to work “collaboratively” in the execution of the policies and programmes for Jamaica.The Governor-General, who spoke at King’s House, today (March 27), at the swearing in of two new Ministers, and two State Ministers, said their appointments are about “service to all Jamaicans.”Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, has appointed Member of Parliament for North West St. Andrew, Dr. the Hon. Nigel Clarke, as the new Minister of Finance and the Public Service, while Hon. Fayval Williams, who previously served as a State Minister, is now Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance.Others sworn into office were Hon. Alando Terrelonge, as Minister of State in the Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, and Hon. Xavier Mayne, State Minister in the Ministry of Labour and Social Security.“By accepting the Prime Minister’s invitation, you are indicating your willingness to commit yourselves to service for all Jamaicans, and to assist with the realisation of the policy, programmes and objectives of the Government,” he told them.The new Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries is Hon. Audley Shaw, who was the Minister of Finance and the Public Service. Hon. Karl Samuda is now Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, a role previously performed by Hon. Dr. Horace Chang, who is now the Minister of National Security.Hon. Robert Montague, former National Security Minister, has been relocated to the Ministry of Transport and Mining, while Hon. Mike Henry is now Minister without Portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister. He was the previous Minister of Transport and Mining.Hon. Rudyard Spencer, who previously served as State Minister at Finance and the Public Service, is now in the Ministry of National Security, and Senator the Hon. Pearnel Charles Jr. has moved from the Security Ministry to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade.Other members of the Cabinet previously appointed remain in their respective portfolios. “By accepting the Prime Minister’s invitation, you are indicating your willingness to commit yourselves to service for all Jamaicans, and to assist with the realisation of the policy, programmes and objectives of the Government,” he told them. Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, has appointed Member of Parliament for North West St. Andrew, Dr. the Hon. Nigel Clarke, as the new Minister of Finance and the Public Service, while Hon. Fayval Williams, who previously served as a State Minister, is now Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance. Story Highlights
Photo courtesy: FacebookJustin BrakeAPTN NewsThe new Doug Ford government in Ontario has cancelled a gathering this week in Toronto intended to solidify plans for updating Indigenous content and delivery in the province’s K-12 system.On Monday a spokesperson for Ontario’s Ministry of Education issued a statement saying the government “will continue to move ahead with the updated Truth and Reconciliation Commission curriculum revisions” initiated by the former Liberal government.But the statement said that the writing sessions intended to devise a plan and resources for educators to introduce the changes were cancelled at the last minute “in keeping with the commitment Premier Doug Ford made to run government more efficiently.”Spokesperson Ben Menka identified the Truth and Reconciliation Commission curriculum revisions and Indigenous Languages in Kindergarten as two of the three writing sessions cancelled by the ministry.Criticism of the decision by Indigenous leaders, politicians, and on social media has been swift.“We have heard from many educators, Elders and knowledge keepers and share their frustration as this important work was dropped just before it was set to begin,” said Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) Deputy Grand Chief Derek Fox.“This is a step backwards on our journey towards reconciliation. The education of the youth in Ontario shouldn’t be dictated by the party in power, but left to professionals who acknowledge that identity building is the only positive move forward.”Colinda Clyne, an Anishinaabe teacher and Curriculum Lead for First Nations, Metis and Inuit Education in Ontario’s Upper Grand District School Board, told APTN Monday the cancellations could impact the second and third phases of a three-stage process to update Indigenous content in the curricula.“This is really significant,” she said. “We use these updates to guide the work that we’re doing with educators in our schools.”Clyne said phase two of the planned reforms include Grades 1 through 3, Grade 9 geography, Grade 10 civics and some Grade 11 and 12 courses.“It took a long time to get that plan rolling. As of last year, Phase 1 had just completed, which was Grade 4-6 social studies, Grade 7 and 8 history, and Grade 10 history,” she said, explaining that after the curriculum changes were determined “the curriculum writing teams got together and gave teachers lots of different prompts of how they can get people into the curriculum.“Phase one is already done and is to be implemented in September, so I feel confident that the teachers who were part of that have a good understanding of what it is that they need to do,” Clyne continued. “I’m not confident they will know what to do with phase two, or even if phase two will exist.”In response to Monday’s news, London West NDP MPP-elect Peggy Sattler issued a statement saying Premier Doug Ford “needs to come clean with families, teachers, educators and students about what’s going on here.“The curriculum in Ontario’s public schools is outdated, and we simply have to do better for our children.“Scrapping the TRC curriculum writing sessions at the last second is a damaging step backwards on the road to reconciliation – and it sends a horrible message to Indigenous communities about their importance to the Ford government.”Monday’s news release from NAN said “Elders and knowledge keepers, many of whom are Residential School survivors, have made personal investments in this work,” and that “some will now lose income as they have booked time away from employment and other activities in order to participate.”Fox said NAN is “asking this government to reaffirm its commitment…working with Indigenous partners to address the legacy of residential schools, close gaps and remove barriers, support Indigenous cultures, and reconcile relationships.”In the government’s statement, Menka said the Ministry of Education “moved ahead with the cancellation unilaterally, with no direction from the Minister of Education,” MPP-elect for Huron-Bruce, Lisa Thompson.Ontario Minister of Education Lisa Thompson.Asked to clarify who made the decision, Menka responded “the deputy minister can have delegated authorities on certain matters,” referring to Ontario’s Deputy Minister of Education Bruce Rodrigues.Asked if Rodrigues is allowed to speak to the press about the decision-making process, Menka said “only the Minister’s office will be putting out a statement on this matter.”The Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s calls to action 62 and 63 compel the federal, provincial and territorial governments to update curricula with age-appropriate Indigenous content, and to, among other things, “provide the necessary funding to post-secondary institutions to educate teachers on how to integrate Indigenous knowledge and teaching methods into classrooms.”According to Clyne, the cancelled writing sessions were intended to achieve the latter.“It’s so important because most of the educators in the province did not get this information about Indigenous Peoples, histories, and traditions…and we need, as school boards, to be able to support the teachers in this work,” she said.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Turks and Caicos is first to add Disaster Management to the Tourism portfolio Related Items:causeway, DDME, fortis tci, hurriicane joaquin TCI: Hard-working DDME lauded as Hurricane Preparedness Month officially opened TCI: More active Hurricane Season predicted and DDME gives thorough update on its readiness Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 07 Oct 2015 – A Lew 1 Shipping tug boat was lost, a barge owned by Clay Arthur is ruined and vehicles in the parking lot of Belfield Landing in Kew, North Caicos were destroyed and that is just some of the damages on the country’s bread basket island after the recent storm. Reports continue to come in on the losses from Hurricane Joaquin, which last week, for three days battered the islands in its outer bands as it moved up the TCI and Bahamas archipelago. It is said, some owners of those parked vehicles at Belfield are not yet even aware of the loss. The Premier, following a Saturday damage assessment tour of affected islands did say the Government farm was hard hit and Magnetic Media has learned that specifically means trees are uprooted with a substantial loss in fruit trees at the site. FortisTCI has also been summoned to North Caicos to sort out a twist of trees and power lines near the Government farm. Flooding this time around in the North was minimal, water has subsided and only debris is left for clean-up. The causeway is under phase two construction right now following battering in the 2008 hurricane season, and the temporary roadway created as a bypass between North and Middle Caicos while work continues, has been underwater since the storm; reports are it was impassable.There was also a truck lost in the hurricane; the Public Works Department vehicle was washed away by a giant wave, we are told. The Disaster Management Department will speak to Magnetic Media later today as it continues damage assessment and confronts public criticism that there was insufficient information coming and that caused residents to be unprepared for the ferociousness of Hurricane Joaquin. Recommended for you
In a Sunday that brought a bouquet of films from different eras, the romance with cinema continued with flair at Siri Fort. The auditorium brimmed with energy for a workshop and panel discussion on We: the offended. The crux of the debate was to discuss the allegations, ranging from gender bias to stereotyping sects, posed at films from different fronts, pre and post release. As often is the case with these panel discussions, the auditorium seemed to be living the back-story of the cinema. There’s a lot more to what one sees on the silver screen: cuts, provocations, allegations, bans et al. The moot point for the day was offence. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Moderating the discussion, the Chief executive officer of CBFC Pankaja Thakur welcomed the panelists, directors- Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, Ketan Mehta, Luv Ranjan, Rajendra Singh Babu, legal expert Amit Nayak and professor of Cinema studies at JNU, Ira Bhaskar. The afternoon session opened with Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s story of Dilli 6. How it got embroiled with the SC ST commission over the portrayal of a waste picker. As the discussion picked up, it was noted that films get stuck before release due to a lot more reasons than censor board’s obstructions. With a country of over a billion, it’s difficult to appease everyone, it seems. Mehra shared the quagmire Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixRang de Basanti found itself in, when the ministries found it uncomfortable to portray the crash of MiG 21. The audience was in splits listening to his ‘moment of shake’, when he said, ‘My legs were shaking when I screened it to ministers and chiefs of forces in Delhi, not because I was concerned about the ban on the film. But who gets a chance to screen one’s movie to a gathering of that sort.’ Mehra was later honored at the 75 years of celebration of air force for his efforts. He confesses that one cannot cross the line under the garb of creativity. That was a one-off remark coming from a director of his stature. In the wake of restraining orders on movies like Vishwaroopam and the likes, from the legal front, Amit Nayak talked of constitutional provisions that do not allow pre censorship of a film before its exhibition after once it is certified by the censor board.Though the discussion didn’t allow for a fair share of interaction with the audience, in the last few minutes, questions were pointed towards lack of representation of SC/ST commission, animal welfare boards or any such bodies on the panel that block the passage of films post certification. We also felt that their take could add another layer to the panel discussion. Luv Ranjan the director of Pyar ka Panchama gauged the sentiments and appropriately summed up that everything is bound to offend somebody or the other. The trouble accentuates when you do not want to discus the problem. For that one sentiment, at a small level, the panel discussions at Siri Fort are allowing for a responsible exchange of ideas on things unsaid and unheard about the movies. While filmmakers rued the role certain factions play in threatening and harassing their creativity; they also lauded the role of censor board that has moved on from being an autocratic censor board to a certifying authority, open to dialogue. The last question for the evening popped up a relevant take on Indian cinema while it celebrates its 100 years with a huge fanfare: When would Indian cinema go beyond its national issues to reflect upon a global theme? With an off the cuff, ‘Why not!’ Mehra wrapped up the discussion. Perhaps, the answer lies in the films that will probably be prompted by such discussions.
Evening Nature Bazaar brings you the wide range of home-made pickles and spices, best beauty products, handcrafted accessories, and a lot more. This exhibition will provide a platform for craftspeople to gain exposure and to directly interact with urban customers, enabling them to gauge market trends and customers demands. When: June 30 – July 1 Where: Nature Bazaar, Andheria Modh Timings: 4pm – 7:30 pm
A Kickstarter campaign for Hendo Hoverboards – advertised as the “world’s first REAL hoverboard” – kicked off on the crowdfunding platform this morning.While the project – which aims to raise $250,000 within the next 54 days – isn’t an Internet prank, the product is very much still a prototype instead of, say, a replica of Marty McFly’s tripped out multicolored board.While the Hendo board indeed hovers, it only does so one inch above the ground, and only if the ground in question is a conductive surface. Other drawbacks: the battery lasts a mere seven minutes and there are currently only 10 prototypes, each priced at $10,000 on Kickstarter.Related: This Viral Hoverboard Video Looks Ridiculously Awesome — Yet Sadly FakeSo…we won’t be hovering to work anytime soon.According to Greg and Jill Henderson, the couple behind the Kickstarter campaign, the hoverboard project is really just a brilliant marketing play. “That’s why we picked the hoverboard: to capture that attention,” Greg Henderson told The New York Times. “If one in 10 people realize there is another use for this stuff, that would be a great success.”Ultimately, the couple wants to draw peoples’ attention to hovering technology’s potential applications beyond the board, in industries “that range from warehouse operations, to building foundation improvements, to novel methods of electromechanical fluid separation,” they write on the project’s Kickstarter page. What if, they ask, the same technology that makes their prototype levitate could be harnessed to do vastly more useful things, including saving entire buildings from earthquake damage by elevating them above the ground? If that seems pretty far out (OK, it definitely does), the Hendersons also have ideas for more contained applications, such as using electromagnets to slightly elevate individual train cars, making them easier to move around train yards.Related: U.S. Army Developing a Real Live ‘Iron Man’ SuitIn this lets-make-more-things-hover vein, backers who pledge $299 toward the project will receive a developer’s kit, enabling them to build their own hovering contraptions.”Our goal is inspiring co-creation with the entire community of tinkerers and makers and outside thinkers,” Greg Henderson told The Verge. “I guarantee one thing: we’re going to be surprised at the results. They’ll come up with all kinds of uses: planes, trains, automobiles, factory automation. Those are some of the easy ones.”For a $100 pledge, 250 backers will receive a five-minute hoverboard ride at the metal-lined hoverpark the couple has built in Silicon Valley. Shell out $1,000, and you’ll receive a full hour on the board, complete with personal instruction from a ‘hoverboard instructor.’Which is as close to Marty McFly as you’re going to get. For now, at least.Related: Publicity Stunt Du Jour: Spend the Night at IKEA Thanks to AirbnbCheck out a video of the hoverboard in action below. Hear from business owners and CEOs who went through a crippling business problem and came out the other side bigger and stronger. Problem Solvers with Jason Feifer 3 min read Listen Now October 21, 2014 Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.