Kavit joined Mobile World Live in May 2015 as Content Editor. He started his journalism career at the Press Association before joining Euromoney’s graduate scheme in April 2010. Read More >> Read more China Telecom claims NB-IoT milestone AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 23 MAY 2017 Tags LIVE FROM LPWA WORLD 2017, LONDON: Jens Olejak, senior product manager M2M at Deutsche Telekom (pictured), refused to rule out supporting non-cellular Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) technologies in the future, as he cautioned on the immediate challenges facing the company’s NB-IoT rollout.Olejak said the company could “never say never” on supporting non-standardised offerings like LoRA or Sigfox, but added such a move would be a massive pivot from its strategy so far.“We took the decision to focus on cellular technologies because that’s our core business,” he said: “We run carrier cellular networks which is an advantage for NB-IoT and then Cat-M1, where we can reuse much of our existing infrastructure.”He continued: “Supporting LoRa or Sigfox would be in addition to that, and that would require a lot of manpower to run. It doesn’t fit into our story for customers when we talk about licensed spectrum in terms of security and long term reliability and so on.”A number of European mobile operators – such as KPN and Orange – seem set for a dual technology approach to LPWA, supporting both LoRa and 3GPP standardised offerings.UncarrierOlejak explained the German operator began to look at LPWA technologies for IoT two years ago, after it became clear existing mobile networks were designed to support humans with one smartphone, not numerous devices.The company is set to launch commercially in Germany and the Netherlands in Q2 this year, and then rollout to its other European markets, following trials involving Huawei in 2016.Deutsche Telekom’s T-Mobile US subsidiary also recently announced plans to support NB-IoT in 2018.While rivals including AT&T and Verizon have chosen LTE-M as their technology of choice, with the technology gaining more ground in North America compared to NB-IoT, Olejak said the move was a testament to T-Mobile US’ disruptive strategy.“Everyone assumes that North America is completely focused on LTE-M. But T-Mobile US likes to play the uncarrier role, they like to be unusual and do things differently so they are going to start with NB-IoT and then go to LTE-M.”Challenges Ahead of Deutsche Telekom’s commercial launch, Olejak said the company was “excited” by the roll out, but noted challenges remain, particularly “as it’s a brand new technology that was only standardised last June”.He noted potential barriers, which includes the need for other vendors to rapidly build up the ecosystem to support Deutsche Telekom’s roll out, as well as module availability.Olejak also noted the infancy of the technologies meant there were still a number of business use cases that were still unknown. Kavit Majithia Home DT cautions on NB-IoT infancy ahead of launch Author Operators back Qualcomm role in open RAN path Deutsche Telekom eyes 5G, fibre lead Related Previous ArticleThings Mobile stakes claim as first global IoT operatorNext ArticleSmall Cell Forum targets 5G with latest specifications Deutsche TelekomNB-IoT
INTERNATIONAL: Siemens AG announced on May 2 that it had successfully concluded the acquisition of Invensys Rail, which is to be integrated into the Rail Automation business of Siemens’ Mobility & Logistics division. This in turn forms part of the company’s Infrastructure & Cities Sector.Siemens’ €2·2bn acquisition of the signalling arm of the UK-based industrial automation group Invensys was announced in November 2012, subject to regulatory approval and endorsement by the shareholders. The sale was formally approved by the European Commission’s competition authorities on April 18. Full consolidation of the two businesses is expected to take around 18 months. The current Chief Executive of Invensys Rail Systems Nick Crossfield is to become the head of Siemens Rail Automation in the UK, based at the Invensys Rail facilities in Chippenham. As well as being the main UK base for Siemens Rail Automation, this will become a regional manufacturing and research centre for the global Rail Automation business. The two companies’ activities are seen as complementary in terms of both geographical markets and technologies, with comparatively little overlap between their respective ranges. Siemens and Invensys Rail have been working together on a number of projects in recent months, including the Crossrail signalling contract in London, where Siemens is supplying its Trainguard CBTC and Invensys Rail the interlockings.
Guyana opened their Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Boys Under-14 Challenge Series in the worst possible manner, suffering an embarrassing 8-0 loss to Trinidad and Tobago on Saturday at the Ergilio Hato Stadium, Curacao. Guyana’s starting XI consisted of Shavid Hernandez, Oswin Archer, Brandon Solomon, Kevin Mullin, Ryquan Brummell, Ofancy Winter, Rajan Ramdeholl (C), Shoran James, Samuel Garnett, Tyrice Dennis and Colin Henriques.The Guyana u14 Boys team departed local shores on Wednesday for Curacao to compete in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) 2018 Boys’ U14 Challenge Series.Guyana will play their second match on August 8th against Curacao before facing off with Bonaire on the 10th. In their final fixture, the Guyanese will oppose Aruba on the 12th. All matches will be held at the same venue. Brian Joseph is serving as the Head-Coach, while Devnon Winter will serve as the Assistant Coach. Sasha Gouveia and Nico Alstrom will act as the Team Manager and Doctor respectively.
NORRISTOWN, Pa. | A jury that heard seven hours of testimony from a woman who says Bill Cosby drugged and assaulted her may soon hear from Cosby himself — even if he doesn’t take the stand.Prosecutors are expected to show jurors an earlier deposition in which Cosby said that he routinely gave women pills and alcohol before sexual encounters and gave at least one of them quaaludes, a now-banned sedative.The suburban Philadelphia jury on Wednesday heard trial accuser Andrea Constand offer her most direct denial yet that any of their earlier meetings were romantic.“It wasn’t a romantic time, no,” Constand, 44, of Toronto, said of an earlier fireside dinner with Cosby, a trustee at Temple University, where she directed the women’s basketball team.The jury also heard Cosby’s voice on a 2006 telephone call, offering Constand money for graduate school after her mother called to confront him about the encounter at his home a year earlier.“She could go to school,” he said. “If she wanted to do that, then I would be willing to … pay for the schooling.”Cosby, now 79, acknowledges in the deposition from Constand’s related lawsuit that he gave her three blue pills before fondling her breast and penetrating her with his fingers. The only question for the jury is how to interpret the encounter. Prosecutors say she was too impaired to give consent.The defense lawyer sought to show that Constand changed her mind about the date of the alleged assault. But Constand perhaps blunted the attack by saying she got confused and initially thought the episode happened in March 2004.“I was mistaken,” she said, unflustered.Gianna Constand, who followed her daughter to the stand, sounded alarmed at the thought Andrea had been drugged, and angry that they still don’t know what type of pills Cosby gave her. Andrea Constand said the pills left her paralyzed and unable to stop Cosby from penetrating her with his finger and putting her hand on his genitals. She said she was still woozy when she woke up six hours later.The defense spent hours on cross-examination trying to suggest the sexual encounter with Cosby was consensual, based on Constand’s previous visits to his home and continued contact afterward.Cosby arrived at a courthouse Thursday accompanied by fellow actors and comedians Joe Torry and Lewis Dix. On Wednesday, actress Sheila Frazier and her hairstylist husband, John Atchison, arrived with Cosby. Earlier in the week, Cosby was supported by Keshia Knight-Pulliam, who played the youngest daughter, Rudy, on “The Cosby Show.”Constand’s case is expected to get to the jury sometime next week. Prosecutors, before then, plan to call an expert in the behavior of sexual assault victims to explain why some remain in contact with their abusers and wait before lodging a complaint.The defense may call a memory expert to cast doubt on the accuracy of testimony about long-ago events. Cosby was arrested in 2015 after his deposition became public and prosecutors reopened an earlier 2005 investigation that ended with Cosby not being charged.“She has said the same thing from Day One. She’s always said he drugged her. She’s always said she didn’t consent. She’s always said it was digital penetration,” Constand lawyer Dolores Troiani told The Associated Press when Constand finished her testimony Wednesday afternoon.Some 60 women have come forward to say Cosby sexually violated them, but the statute of limitations for prosecution had run out in nearly every case. Constand’s case is the only one in which Cosby has been charged. The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they are victims of sexual assault unless they grant permission, which Constand has done.___For more on Cosby, including trial updates, historical photos, videos and an audio series exploring the case, visit: https://www.apnews.com/tag/CosbyonTrial