Home West African economy tipped for mobile-fuelled boost Strong mobile subscriber growth and greater access to 3G and 4G data services will increase the mobile industry’s contribution to the West African economy to $51 billion annually in 2022, the GSMA forecast.The Association’s The Mobile Economy: West Africa 2018 report tipped the industry to increase its contribution to the region’s economy from $37 billion in 2017 – equivalent to 6.5 per cent of GDP – to 7.7 per cent of GDP in 2022.Its figures for 2017 reveal a mobile penetration rate of 47 per cent across the 15 countries in the Economic Community of West African States, up from 28 per cent in 2010.Penetration is tipped to rise to 54 per cent in 2025, driven by the region’s large youth population reaching adulthood and taking mobile subscriptions. The report also points to the positive impact of continued investment from local operators in constructing 3G and 4G networks.By 2025, the GSMA said 94 per cent of the regions’ connections will be on 3G or 4G services, compared to 36 per cent in 2017. The increased access and performance of data networks, it added, will also drive business efficiencies across a number of industries including health and finance.GSMA chief regulatory officer John Giusti said growth in the region also relied on the support of authorities.“Connecting a new generation of mobile subscribers across West Africa requires a new era of collaboration between industry and governments in order to implement policies that encourage network expansion, innovation and affordability,” Giusti said.“In addition to the work of operators to expand and improve networks, significant effort from governments at all levels is needed to create the right conditions for continued investment.”The Economic Community of West African States comprises: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo. La GSMA reclama el uso de la banda de 6 GHz para la 5G Previous ArticleSprint, T-Mobile US merger rumours resurrectedNext ArticleFacebook chief rejects monopoly claims GSMA lays out plan for MWC21 AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 11 APR 2018 Chris Donkin Related Chris joined the Mobile World Live team in November 2016 having previously worked at a number of UK media outlets including Trinity Mirror, The Press Association and UK telecoms publication Mobile News. After spending 10 years in journalism, he moved… Read more Author GSMAWest Africa GSMA seeks 6GHz boost for 5G Tags
DL Debate – 24/05/21 Google+ Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction Facebook Twitter Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty By News Highland – April 13, 2018 Pinterest Pinterest Google+ News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Previous articleOutrage after tourists tyres slashed by vandalsNext articleSafety issues raised over road outside Ramelton Housing Estate News Highland AudioHomepage BannerNews Calls for Leader funding applications to be simplified WhatsApp An Inishowen councillor says the structure of Leader application forms must be changed to make it easier for small groups to apply for funding. Cllr Martin Mc Dermott says the process is geared towards larger projects, and the point is being reached where smaller concerns run by a few volunteers who are looking for relatively small amounts will simply give up.Cllr Mc Dermott says that would be bad for everybody, and steps must be taken to streamline the process:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/McderHFGHFmleader.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Facebook Harps come back to win in Waterford Twitter FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR
Share Sharing is caring! Tweet Share LocalNews Extended lay off for 20 Public Works employees by: Dominica Vibes News – August 12, 2015 428 Views no discussions Share Public Works Corporation employees protesting (file photo)Just when twenty (20) employees of the Public Works Corporation were getting set to return to work after a five week lay-off period, employees have been told that this break is not over yet. The employees were laid off on Wednesday 1st July 2015, as the company announced a cash flow problem. General Secretary of the Public Works Corporation, the union, representing staff Thomas Letang announced last week that the employees would return to work on Wednesday 13th August 2015.However on Wednesday, one day before the employees were to resume duty, they were issued with a second letter informing of an extended layoff period. The letter, which was signed by acting general manager of the PWC, Edward Labassiere, was issued to all 20 employees on Wednesday 12 August 2015. It reads:“The board has reviewed the situation at the Public Works Corporation and has concluded that the unsustainability of the Corporation remains the same. In this regard, a decision has been taken to continue your temporary lay-off. The Corporation regrets having to take such a decision as this point in time. The Corporation wishes to assure you that the situation will remain under review and if there is any change which may allow the situation to recall, you will be informed accordingly”. The board of directors of the Corporation met with union officials and three shop stewards who are also among laid off employees to discuss their status on Tuesday 11 August. However one employee who chose to remain anonymous described the meeting with the board as fruitful.The employee told Vibes news on Wednesday that the latest letter informing of an extended lay off with no return date comes as a shock since no hints were given at Tuesday’s meeting. The twenty employees are to meet with their union on Thursday morning to discuss their next course of action. Public Works Corporation owes years of social security contribution on behalf of staff and wages to employees.